Bodies found in Yosemite serial killer case

Bodies found in Yosemite serial killer case

On March 19, 1999, law enforcement officials discover the charred bodies of forty-two-year-old Carol Sund and sixteen-year-old Silvina Pelosso in the trunk of their burned-out rental car, a day after the vehicle was located in a remote area several hours from Yosemite National Park. Cary Stayner, a handyman at the lodge where the women were last seen a month before, later confessed to their murders as well as those of two other women.

On the evening of February 15, 1999, Carol Sund of Eureka, California, along with her fifteen-year-old daughter Juli and their family friend Silvina Pelosso, from Argentina, were staying at the Cedar Lodge in the town of El Portal, California, near Yosemite. Cary Stayner later confessed to investigators that he entered the women’s room on the premise that he needed to fix a water leak and then strangled Carol Sund and sexually assaulted the two teens. He later killed Silvina Pelosso and put her body, along with Carol Sund’s, in their rented Pontiac Gran Prix. Stayner then drove Juli Sund to Lake Don Pedro, near Mocassin, California, where he slashed her neck.

After the women were reported missing, police questioned Stayner but didn’t believe the clean-cut handyman, who had no history of violence, was involved. Instead, the investigation focused on other employees at the Cedar Lodge as well as suspicious persons in the town of Modesto, where Carol Sund’s wallet was found in the street several days after her disappearance. (Stayner would later confess to dropping the wallet there to mislead police.) On March 18, 1999, a man found Carol Sund’s rental car in a secluded area 100 yards north of Highway 108, near Long Barn, California. The following day, March 19, investigators arrived to open the car trunk, where they discovered the badly burned bodies of Sund and Pelosso. On March 25, after receiving an anonymous tip (which Stayner later confessed to sending), police located Juli Sund’s decomposed body in an isolated location less than an hour away from the rental car. At that time, Stayner was not a suspect in the case.

Then, on July 22, 1999, the decapitated body of Joie Armstrong, a twenty-six-year-old Yosemite naturalist was found near her cabin in Yosemite’s Foresta region. Investigators, who believed she had been murdered the previous day, questioned Stayner and searched his truck, but let him go. Deciding they wanted to speak with him further, authorities tracked down Stayner on July 24 at the Laguna Del Sol nudist camp in Wilton, California. Later that day, in a surprising confession to FBI agent Jeff Rinek, Stayner admitted to killing the Sunds, Pelosso and Armstrong. During his trial, Stayner’s lawyers argued he suffered from mental illness, childhood sexual abuse, and the trauma of his brother’s kidnapping. In 1972, Stayner’s seven-year-old brother Steven was kidnapped by a child molestor and held captive for more than seven years before he managed to escape. Steven later died in a 1989 motorcycle accident. Cary Stayner was convicted in all four murders and sentenced to death.

DID Research

“As an undergraduate student in psychology, I was taught that multiple personalities were a very rare and bizarre disorder. That is all that I was taught on . It soon became apparent that what I had been taught was simply not true. Not only was I meeting people with multiplicity these individuals entering my life were normal human beings with much to offer. They were simply people who had endured more than their share of pain in this life and were struggling to make sense of it.”

― Deborah Bray Haddock, The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook

Unsolved Murders: The Boy In The Box

Wikimedia Commons The crime scene where the body was found in the woods off Susquehanna Road in Fox Chase, Philadelphia. February 1957.

On February 23, 1957, a man was checking his muskrat traps in the woods off Susquehanna Road in Fox Chase, Philadelphia, when he came upon a baby bassinet box with a dead body in it. Knowing that his muskrat traps were illegal, the man decided against reporting the body.

Two days later, a college student named Frederick Benosis was spying on girls at the Good Shepherd School when he too came upon the body. Benosis was also reluctant to notify the police, but a day later he nonetheless reached out to the authorities.

Creative Commons The original poster with which the police tried to identify the body of the unknown victim in 1957.

The body was that of a young child who has since become known as the “Boy in the Box” as well as “America’s Unknown Child.”

The boy was completely naked, and his hands and feet were wrinkled as if he had been submerged into water before he died. Furthermore, his esophagus contained a dark substance suggesting that he might have vomited shortly before he died, the cause of which appeared to be several blows to the head.

Surprisingly, even though the case attracted significant media attention, no one ever came forward to identify the boy.

However, progress was made in 2002 when a psychiatrist contacted the authorities with information regarding the case. The psychiatrist claimed that a patient of hers, a woman named Mary, confided that her parents had bought “America’s Unknown Child” and used him as a sex toy.

Creative Commons Forensic facial reconstruction showing what the boy may have looked like when alive.

According to Mary, her mother had been bathing the boy when he suddenly threw up. Angered, Mary’s mother beat him to death. Mary claimed that she accompanied her mother to Northeast Philadelphia woods where they wrapped the boy in a blanket, placed him in a box and left him there.

The investigators were convinced that Mary was telling the truth, even if she was mentally unstable. However, when Mary’s name leaked to the press, she left the country and no further efforts have been made to investigate the curious case of “America’s Unknown Child.”

Police Baffled by Cold Case Murder of Spokane Woman, Potential Serial Killer Ties

Cold case investigators haven’t given up on trying to solve the murder of 30-year-old Debbi Finnern as the 36-year anniversary of her death from multiple stab wounds approaches.

They are still asking who did it and why? A few serial killers are among the possible suspects.

Victim had no ties to the community

Over three decades ago, Debbi Finnern made a move that her family still doesn’t understand. She relocated to Spokane, Washington, from Omaha, Nebraska – seemingly on a whim.

Her brother, who is three years younger, is still baffled about why his big sister wound up in a community that she had no ties to.

“She didn’t have a lot of money at that time,” her brother recalls, “I don’t think she had a car.”

Her brother speculates: “I thought maybe she traveled to that area with a group of friends. She didn’t seem to me like the type who would uproot on her own.”

The murder of Debbi Finnern

On a summer night in 1984, the murdered body of 30-year-old Debbi Finnern was discovered. Spokane police officers reported that they saw Debbi in the area roughly an hour before her body was found.

According to the police report, the officers told her that she wasn’t in a safe area of town and advised her that she should head home.

But Debbi never made it home.

Near the 1800 block of East Front Street, Debbi’s lifeless body was found. Investigators ruled out robbery. She was still clothed but had no bra or underwear.

She had been stopped at least eight times, according to the autopsy report, and had defensive wounds all over her hands and wrists. It was apparent that Debbi had fought for her life.

The autopsy and toxicology report revealed that most likely Debbi had sexual intercourse shortly before her death. The only substance in her system was caffeine.

Who murdered Debbi Finnern and why?

The names of lots of suspects and potential suspects have surfaced over the years, some now notorious. One such name his serial killer Robert Yates who is known to have begun a killing spree of Spokane working girls a few years after Debbie was found.

Another potential name that has come up is the “Green River Killer” Gary Ridgway.

Another strong person of interest that the Spokane Police Department considered is a man named Clayton Giese, now deceased. Giese raped and stabbed to death a 12-year-old named Marsi Belez in the summer of 1985.

Will DNA identify the killer?

Authorities have been quiet on the subject of DNA in the case. But the family hopes that if there is a viable DNA in Debbi’s case, they hope it can be compared to Giese or identify another suspect and bring them some closure.

Police seek the public’s help

If you know anything about who murdered Debbi Finnern in June of 1984, please call SPD at 509.456.2233.

Tips can also be made anonymously online through

P3 Tips mobile stands for “public-police-private sector” working together to solve and prevent crime. It allows anyone to share information anonymously with crime stopper programs and law enforcement entities.

48 Eerie Unsolved Mysteries That Will Keep You Awake at Night

3. Lady of the Dunes: Was the Unidentified Cape Cod Murder Victim an Extra in Jaws?

4. Face on the Milk Carton: What Happened to Johnny Gosch?

5. The Unexplainable Disappearance of Jim Thompson, Thai Silk King

6. The Babysitter Who Vanished: What Happened to Evelyn Hartley?

7. Lord Lucan: The Murder Suspect Who Vanished Without a Trace

8. Gone in the Night: The Extraordinary Life and Mysterious Disappearance of Rudolf Diesel

9. A Killer Calls: The Unsolved Murder of Dorothy Jane Scott

10. What Happened to Brian Shaffer?

11. Spy in the Bag: The Mysterious Death of Gareth Williams

12. The Strange Case of Zebb Quinn’s Disappearance

13. Multiple Women Have Disappeared from Ireland’s ‘Vanishing Triangle’

14. 5 Creepy Unsolved Mysteries You’ve Likely Never Heard About

15. Into the Storm: The Vanishing of Ambrose Small

16. Disturbing Unresolved Mysteries the Internet Can’t Get Over

17. 8 Strange, Unsolved Crimes That Are Sure to Haunt You

18. The Sudden, Unsolved Disappearance of William and Margaret Patterson

19. 7 Cases of People Who Vanished Without Explanation

20. The Unsolved Disappearance of Dorothy Arnold

21. Up in Smoke: The Sodder Children Disappearance of 1945

Want more unsolved mysteries? Sign up for The Lineup’snewsletter, and get the strangest stories delivered straight to your inbox.

The case of Dr. Jeffrey McDonald is one of the most written and analyzed murder cases in the history of the United States. This Hulu series, based upon the novel of the same name, is without question, the most thorough examination of this tragedy. (See comments for further information).

Based upon the book of the same title by author Errol Morris, the documentary goes back and forth between Morris’ research and interviews with surviving witnesses, law enforcement, military and civilian attorneys, historians and jurors. 

No stone is left uncovered.

Most impressive here is the non-judgmental approach of the entire series despite being written & mostly narrated by the author who is clearly a McDonald supporter!

It was nice to see both him and the filmmakers play fair to give the audience a comprehensive account without taking sides.

There is no higher recommendation that can be made for this HULU series.

Bodies found in Yosemite serial killer case - HISTORY

Wikimedia Commons Police photo of the body found near the Race Point Dunes in Massachusetts.

In July of 1974, a girl out walking her dog near the Race Point Dunes in Provincetown, Mass. saw a body not far from the road. The auburn-haired woman was face down, missing both hands and a forearm, and her head nearly severed. Her skull was crushed, and she’d been sexually assaulted – possibly after death.

Police found her Wrangler jeans and blue bandanna under her head. There were two sets of footprints leading to the area, and tire tracks not far away. Examiners estimated she’d been dead close to two weeks. Though the victim had some extensive and costly dental crowns, some of her teeth were missing.

“I don’t believe she was a poor innocent,” Detective Warren Tobias told the Boston Globe. His speculation places the victim as Rory Gene Kesinger, an inmate who landed in prison on robbery and assault charges. She’d escaped before her trial with the help of an accomplice, and police had never located her.

Another possible lead in 1981, when investigators learned a woman who looked like the victim had been with mobster Whitey Bulger around the time she presumably died. Bulger was known for removing his victims’ teeth, but a definitive link remains to be made.

Serial killer Hadden Clark has given a confession to this unsolved murder. However, he is also a paranoid schizophrenic who refuses to tell the police the woman’s name.

Universal Pictures A still from the movie Jaws, which (theoretically) may show the victim on the left in a blue bandanna.

In regards to the woman’s identity, there’s been recent speculation that the Lady of the Dunes could have been a movie extra in the film Jaws. Filmed in June of 1974 – 100 miles from Provincetown, Massachusetts – Joe Hill (son of author Stephen King) told an FBI investigator that during the film’s “July 4th Crowd” sequence, he saw a woman fitting the woman’s description wearing a blue bandanna and jeans.

It may be far-fetched, but in a cold case such as this, no stone can remain unturned.

Enjoy this article on history’s most infamous cold cases? Next, see if you can shed any light onto these unsolved murders or discover if this book has really solved the Black Dahlia case.

Cold Cases of History: The Murder of Juan Borgia

The Borgia family is one of the most notorious in European history. Headed by patriarch Rodrigo Borgia—who became Pope Alexander VI—the family was comprised of his four children: Cesare, Juan, Lucrezia, and Jofre, and they were accused of everything from buying the papal election to incest, with lots more in between. Often called “Italy’s first crime family”, the Borgias were in fact nothing of the sort. By and large the way they operated was no different from what powerful families of Italy had been doing for hundreds of years, and would continue to do. Murder, bribery, simony, corruption, and shady political dealings were all par for the course in Italy during the Renaissance, and the Borgias played the game with the best of them. Yet they ended up more vilified than most, as well as accused of evils they never committed—the rumors of incest between Lucrezia and her father and brothers, for instance, have no historical basis in fact.

As such, there’s a lot of question as to what is myth and what is fact regarding the Borgias. And yet buried beneath all the rumors and scandals is a historical murder that remains unsolved to this day: the murder of Juan Borgia, Duke of Gandia, the second son of Rodrigo Borgia and his longtime mistress, Vannozza dei Cattanei.

The facts are these: on the evening of June 14, 1497, Juan Borgia was least seen leaving a dinner party at his mother’s home, in the countryside near Rome. The next day, he was nowhere to be found, which wasn’t altogether unusual at first: Juan had a habit of carousing through the streets of Rome of an evening. Yet once an entire day passed without his reappearance, Pope Alexander grew greatly worried about the whereabouts of his favorite son, especially after it came to light that, upon leaving the party, Juan had sent his companions (including his brother Cesare) and his attendants away to embark on some mysterious errand—it had been assumed at the time that he was meeting a woman. Duly alarmed, the pope sent his men out into the streets of Rome to search for Juan.

Eventually, on June 16th, a timber merchant named Giorgio Schiavi came forward with the information that, on the night of Juan Borgia’s disappearance, he had been out on the Tiber River keeping watch on a shipment of his lumber that had just been unloaded. While standing guard on the riverbank, he described seeing a rider on a white horse appear with a body slung across the saddle, accompanied by four men on foot. At the rider’s direction, the four men took the body and flung it into the Tiber, then threw stones at it until it sank. Their grisly deed completed, they all retreated down an alley and into the night.

When asked why he had not immediately reported this incident to the authorities, Schiavi is reported to have said “I have seen more than a hundred bodies thrown into the river right at this spot, and never heard of anyone troubling himself about them.”

Buried beneath all the rumors and scandals is a historical murder that remains unsolved to this day: the murder of Juan Borgia.

After receiving this information, Pope Alexander ordered the river be searched, and in short order the body of Juan Borgia was pulled from the Tiber. He had a total of nine stab wounds, dispersed across his neck, head, legs, and torso. He was fully clothed, and a purse containing 30 ducats was still attached to his belt, thus ruling out robbery as a possible motive.

Pope Alexander was inconsolable upon learning of the murder of his favorite son indeed, in consistory a few days later, he said “Had we seven papacies, we would give them all to have the Duke alive again.” The pope began making inquiries into who had ordered Juan’s assassination, yet after only a few days, these inquiries were suspended and never resumed again, seeming to suggest that the culprit had been discovered, and that there was no action the pope could—or would—take against the person or persons responsible. So who was responsible?

Suspects abounded and rumors spread, not only within the Vatican and in the streets of Rome but eventually within the courts of Europe. One of the first suspects to be mentioned was Cesare Borgia, Juan’s brother and then a cardinal in the church. Cesare and Juan had long had a fierce, intense rivalry, to the point of hatred. Cesare was resentful at having been forced to follow his father into the church and had always preferred a military career, which Juan had been given instead, and promptly made a hash of. No less a person that Queen Isabella of Spain was apparently convinced of Cesare’s guilt in the matter.

There was also the third Borgia brother, Jofre. It was well known that Juan had been having an affair with Jofre’s wife, Sancia of Aragon, so many theorized that Jofre had had his brother killed out of jealousy.

Other suspects included members of the ruling family of Milan, the Sforzas, particularly Cardinal Ascanio Sforza and his cousin and Lucrezia Borgia’s husband, Giovanni Borgia. At this time, Pope Alexander and Cesare were looking to get Lucrezia a divorce from her husband, as the Sforza alliance had at that point lost its political expediency. Therefore it was thought that the Sforzas were looking for revenge on the Borgias, especially as Giovanni and Juan had also had a violent disagreement during a recent military campaign. This was dismissed by Pope Alexander himself, as were the rumors about Jofre being involved and in truth the Sforzas had much more to lose at that point by making an enemy of Pope Alexander than by going along with the divorce (which they eventually did).

While Cesare is the preferred culprit of many, no doubt simply for the drama that explanation would suggest, in fact the more likely guilty party was the Orsini family, one of the leading noble families of Rome. Pope Alexander had long been at odds with the Orsini clan, a situation which had been exacerbated when, a few years earlier, the Orsini had sided with the invading French, rather than defending Rome and Naples—which the French king sought to conquer—as they had initially promised to do. Once the French had been expelled from Italy, Pope Alexander sent an army to take the Orsini land and castles in his name. At the head of that military expedition? Juan Borgia, Duke of Gandia. Juan, being generally incompetent at every task given to him, failed miserably, resulting in great embarrassment for Pope Alexander and for the Borgia family. What likely further fueled the rage of the Orsini family was the death in January 1497 of patriarch Virginio Orsini, who had been held in prison in Naples since the Orsini turned coat during the French invasion in 1494. There is a reason the word “vendetta” is an Italian word, after all. From the Orsinis’ perspective, what better way to enact their revenge on Pope Alexander than by murdering his favorite son?

So while there is no hard evidence that the Orsini were behind Juan’s murder, it would seem likely, and might also explain Pope Alexander’s abruptly calling off the search for the killers (and whoever had paid them): he would need to bide his time before striking again at such a wealthy and powerful family, and indeed the Borgia feud with the Orsini family would continue on in the years to come.

In my new novel, The Borgia Confessions, I chose a different explanation than the most likely one for Juan’s murder—I chose one that combined a few different theories and, to me, offered the best dramatic possibilities. That is, after all, the novelist’s privilege. But who really killed Juan Borgia? We’ll probably never know, but I still ponder it every time I walk along the Tiber in Rome.

7. Cocoliztli epidemic: 1545-1548

The infection that caused the cocoliztli epidemic was a form of viral hemorrhagic fever that killed 15 million inhabitants of Mexico and Central America. Among a population already weakened by extreme drought, the disease proved to be utterly catastrophic. "Cocoliztli" is the Aztec word for "pest."

A recent study that examined DNA from the skeletons of victims found that they were infected with a subspecies of Salmonella known as S. paratyphi C, which causes enteric fever, a category of fever that includes typhoid. Enteric fever can cause high fever, dehydration and gastrointestinal problems and is still a major health threat today.

January 14, 1964, Mexico

Catalina Ortega went to the Judicial Police office in Leon, Guanajuato and told a macabre tale. Visibly shaken, scared and showing signs of abuse and malnourishment, Ortega told the police officers that in nearby San Pancho, the Gonzalez sisters held a sort of concentration camp/ brothel.

Thus began the most scandalous and sordid tale of prostitution and murder, the most shocking in annals of Mexican crime history.

The Gonzalez Valenzuela Sisters were born in El Salto de Juanacatlan, Jalisco in poverty.

Their father, I s idro Torres was an abusive and authoritarian man. He formed a part of the Rural police, during the Porfirio Diaz days, in charge of riding thru town and making sure everything was ok. A violent man, who often abused his power, he shot and killed a man during an argument.

When his young daughters wore makeup or "risque" clothing not to his liking, he would lock them up in the town jail to teach them a lesson.

After shooting the man and gaining many enemies, Isidro Torres, his wife Bernardina Valenzuela and their daughters relocated to the small village of San Francisco del Rincon, Guanajuato, called San Pancho by the locals.

As the Gonzalez Valenzuela sisters grew older, their constant fear of poverty made them open up some businesses in town. Together with some money they had they opened a saloon in San Pancho, and this bar, although it didnt bring in loads of money, it gave them enough to eat.

Later on they would venture into prostitution. The sisters would bribe local officials with money or the sisters would "bribe" them using their sexual skills. Nevertheless they opened up clandestine brothels in San Francisco del Rincon, Purisima del Rincon, Leon in Guanajuato, bordellos in El Salto and San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco and another one in San Juan del Rio, Queretaro state, near Mexico City.

Carmen, Delfina, and Maria de Jesus "Chuy", operated the whorehouses in Guanajuato and Jalisco while Maria Luisa "Eva the Leggy One" ran her bar/brothel near the Mexican border.

The sisters bought a bar in Lagos, Jalisco from a gay man nicknamed "El Poquianchi" . The nickname was passed on to the sisters, who were now called Las Poquianchis, a nickname they hated.

They would prowl the countryside, hitting the nearby ranches in Guanajuato or venture into rural Jalisco and Michoacan states and look for the prettiest young girls.

They would offer them jobs in Guadalajara or Leon, as maids or waitresses. The poor young peasant girls, with dreams of life in the big city and money, would be happy to oblige. Other times the Gonzalez sisters, with the help of an Army Captain/Henchman and Delfina’s lover, Hermengildo Zuniga, would simply snatch the young girls, never to be seen again.

After being kidnapped, most of the girls were force-fed heroin or cocaine so they would be addicted and compliant.

At their "Guadalajara de Noche" and "Barca de Oro" Bars, the young girls would be put to work. The prettiest virgins were saved for later, awaiting patrons with fat wallets, who would pay top peso for an untouched girls. The others would be raped, intimidated and showered with ice water as initiation. The girls would have to buy their clothes and makeup strictly from the Gonzalez sisters.

The girls, held against their will, never being allowed to go outside were controlled by the sisters and Zuniga "The Black Eagle". Delfina’s son Ramon Torres "El Tepo" also served as muscle, keeping the girls in line.

For years the sisters made tons of money selling booze and whores to soldiers, councilmen, cops and horny villagers.

When one of the girls got pregnant, she would be beaten and forced to abort, the fetuses dumped in the back yards of the brothels or buried at the sisters main ranch that resembled a concentration camp, Loma del Angel, called the “bordello from hell”.

If a girl got too sick, due to malnourishment or an STD or due to an impromptu abortion, she would be locked in a room, starved to death or the other girls would be forced to beat her to death with sticks and heavy logs.

So basically, when these poor innocent girls became pregnant, too ill, damaged by repeated sexual activity, lost their looks, or stopped pleasing the customers, they were murdered and buried at Rancho El Angel.

"The Black Eagle" and the sister's chauffeur handled the bodies, burning them to ashes or burying them in mass graves. Johns with a lot of cash would also be murdered and their bodies buried, and their cash stolen.

in 1963, Ramon Torres "El Tepo" got into an argument with Lagos de Moreno, Jalisco cops, and was shot to death inside one of the Gonzalez' sisters brothel.

The police closed down the place and it’s said that Delfina, Tepo’s mother, in a fit of rage ordered Hermenegildo Zuniga to track down the cops who killed her son and kill them on the spot.

That brings us to January, 1964, when Catalina Ortega managed to escape Loma del Angel through a small opening in the wall and fled. Zuniga and his cronies searched for Ortega to kill her but they could not find her throughout the countryside.

Ortega had managed to get ahold of her mother and together they went to the Leon, Guanajuato police to file a complaint.

She was in luck, the cops she talked to were not on the sinister sister’s payroll. They soon got a search and arrest warrant against Chuy and Delfina Gonzalez and on January 14th, 1964 they raided Loma del Angel ranch.

There the sisters, still dressed in black, mourning El Tepos death and wearing shawls were herded throughtout the ranch, while angry villagers gathered outside demanding to lynch the sisters.

Police and reporters found a dozen emaciated and dirty women at the ranch, locked in a room. As police and reporters explored the ranch, some of the girls pointed to spots in the ground and told them thats where they would find "the bodies".

Angry and shouting obcenities at their new accusers, the Gonzalez Valenzuela sisters could do nothing but watch as their chauffeur, also arrested, was forced to dig. There authorities found decomposed bodies and the bones of at least 91 women, men and fetuses.

Under heavy military guard, the sisters were taken to a jail San Francisco del Rincon, but seeing as how the whole town wanted to lynch the women, a judge sent them to squalid Irapuato City Jail.

A week later, Maria Luisa Gonzalez Valenzuela went to a Mexico City police station and turned herself in, fearing being lynched. She thought she was immune, a judge had granted her immunity from the charges her sisters faced but upon arriving in Irapuato she too was arrested.

There began the hectic interrogation and sensational trial of the century.

Dozens of ex prostitutes accused the sisters of rape, murder and extortion. The women accused "The Poquianchis" as the women were dubbed by the media, of dabbling in Satanism, forcing the women to practice sexual acts on animals, and killing and torturing dozens of young girls and johns.

They accused Delfina, Maria Luisa and Maria de Jesus of corrupting and bribing local and state authorities, who were also regulars to the sisters bars and brothels.

The chaotic trial, peppered with insults and yelling back and forth from the Gonzalez sisters and their accusers was short and a judge sentenced the 3 sisters to 40 years in prison.

Carmen Gonzalez Valenzuela died in jail of cancer before the trial even began.

Delfina Gonzalez Valenzuela, the oldest "Poquianchi" went mad, fearing she would be murdered in jail. On October 17, 1968, while she screamed and ranted, workers doing reparations above her cell in Irapuato jail, looked down to catch a glimpse of the notorious woman and accidentaly dropped a bucket of cement on her head, killing her.

Maria Luisa Gonzalez Valenzuela "Eva the Leggy One" died alone in her cell at Irapuato jail on November 19, 1984. Her body, already being eaten by rats, was discovered a day later.

Maria de Jesus Gonzalez Valenzuela, the youngest of the "Poquianchis" was the only one to be freed. It is unknown why or when she was freed, but legend has it she met a 64 year old man in prison, and once both were outside, they married and lived their life in obscurity, finally dying of old age in the mid 1990's.

In 2002, workers clearing land for a new housing development in Purisima del Rincon, Guanajuato, down the road from the notorious Loma del Angel ranch, found the remains of about 20 skeletons in a pit. Authorities said the victims were probably buried there in the 1950's or 1960's, victims of Las Poquianchis.

The infamous Chicago Tylenol murders

The series of tragic deaths known as the Chicago Tylenol murders started on September 29, 1982, when a 12-year-old girl complained of cold symptoms, was given a single Tylenol capsule, and died soon after. The next victim was a 27-year-old postal worker, who died from what was originally called a heart attack. In the wake of his death, both his brother and sister-in-law took Tylenol from a bottle in his home to calm their headaches — and yeah, they also died. In total, seven people passed away from taking Tylenol that had been laced with cyanide. Around 31 million bottles of Tylenol were recalled, more poisoned bottles were found, and several more copycat incidents popped up over the next decade.

According to PBS, the poisoner or poisoners were never found. But the incident did have a long-lasting impact on the pharmaceutical world. Tylenol manufacturers Johnson & Johnson worked with the FDA to create new packaging that made it very, very obvious if anyone opened or punctured seals on bottles. They also redesigned the pills themselves, into a form that couldn't be opened, tampered with, and reassembled. After investing more than $100 million into the redesign, medicine was made much safer — and much more annoying to open for even the most legitimate reasons.

Watch the video: Serial Killer: Cary Stayner The Yosemite Killer - Documentary