100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic

100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic

On April 14, 2012 100 years the sinking of one of the most famous ships in history, the RMS Titanic. On the occasion of the centenary, events are taking place that commemorate the tragedy, in addition to the re-release of the film in theaters around the world. But what happened?

The Titanic left Southampton on Wednesday, April 10, 1912 with destination New York. More than 2,200 people embarked on the ocean liner. It was about maiden voyage and therefore the ship I was sailing at full speed.

The Titanic He was sailing through the waters of the Atlantic Ocean. The morning of Sunday, April 14, 1912 received warnings of the danger of encountering icebergs in their path, which followed one another throughout the day. It was the melting season, the sea was completely calm and the temperature had dropped drastically during the last hours. However, these notices were ignored. The night was calm, with the sea calm and no moon to allow, which was difficult to spot icebergs.

The Titanic in Southampton

When it was dark the ships that were in the vicinity sent more warnings about the presence of icebergs but that were not communicated to the officers due to the accumulation of work that radio operators had. In addition to this inconvenience, it should be added that the lookouts were without binoculars, since they had been lost days before.

At 23:40 hours at night, the lookouts advised the officers that they had sighted a iceberg by bow. The commanding officer, Murdoch, barely had time to react, so he decided proceed to reverse, or reverse, so that it collided head-on, but barely gave time to carry out the maneuver, so the iceberg hit the bow side of the ship, tearing much of the side.

At first it seemed that it had not had serious consequences. In fact, the passengers they hardly noticed a tremor, so he remained calm. However, the main damage had been caused in the part that remained underwater. The workers who were in the boilers saw how the water poured in, also flooding the mailroom in just a few minutes.

The iceberg believed to have collided with the Titanic

When at last Capital John Smith along with his officers and the chief builder inspected the damage, they saw that five compartments had been affected. If there had only been four the ship could have stayed afloat, but with five they saw that the ship was sinking hopelessly, since the water would go through the compartments. After this evaluation, they estimated the time it would take to sink and came to the conclusion that they had only a couple of hours left.

The harsh reality made them understand that most of the passage could not be saved, since they hardly carried lifeboats for half. Furthermore, they were presented with the problem that they had no red flares to ask for help, only white, which was interpreted by some boats as a celebration rather than a call for help.

They were quickly shipped distress messages with the acronym SOS that had been introduced shortly before. An order was given for the passengers to life jackets and come on deck to be able to climb in the lifeboats. For this, an order was followed, first they had to board women and children. The biggest problems came next, as the first boats they barely carried passengers. Of the 65 people that could fit, only between 20 and 30 embarked. In addition, there were people who were convinced that the ship was safer, so it was necessary force them upto the boats so they could be saved.


Third class people were the last to know what happened; They only realized it when they saw that their cabins they were flooded. Also, many people I was not aware of what was happening, so they continued with their routine on board.

Around one o'clock in the morning, the bow of the ship was already under the waters. As a curiosity to mention that the music band, trying to reassure the passengers, was all night playing on deck. Half an hour later, people could barely stand on the deck due to the incline he was reaching, causing panic, which was greater once the last of the boats would have sailed.

About two in the morning, they began to hear each other creaks and thuds on the boat, the light began to blink until went out. Due to its inclination and the enormous weight it had to support, the ship broke in two between the third and fourth chimney. Finally the ship got vertically and it was sinking little by little.

Lifeboats could have saved a greater number of peopleBut for fear of being sunk, they did not come to rescue the hundreds of people who called for help in the icy waters. Only one, number four, came back but did it too late, was able to save five people of which two died on board. Even being in the boats, they were not completely safe, since the temperature was very low and some passengers did not have the appropriate clothing.

The closest ship was the Carpathia, who reached the place of sinking four hours after the catastrophe even though they were going full throttle. Luckily it did not carry its full load and was able to ship all those who had survived. Barely 700 people were saved, perishing in the waters of the Atlantic more than 1500. History remembers it as the greatest maritime disaster in peacetime.

With a degree in Journalism and Audiovisual Communication, since I was a child I have been attracted to the world of information and audiovisual production. Passion for informing and being informed of what is happening in every corner of the planet. Likewise, I am pleased to be part of the creation of an audiovisual product that will later entertain or inform people. My interests include cinema, photography, the environment and, above all, history. I consider it essential to know the origin of things to know where we come from and where we are going. Special interest in curiosities, mysteries and anecdotal events in our history.

Video: Discussing Titanics and Britannics wrecks.